Arduino / Raspberry Pi Internet Radio
This is a project for Arduino and Raspberry Pi to make an Internet Radio, aimed at intermediate skill level. Some familiarity with Linux usage will be beneficial (or access to someone who can help out if required).
Raspberry Pi runs mpd music player daemon to receive and decode the internet radio stream.
ALSA running on the Raspberry Pi provides the sound through either the Jack Socket or the HDMI output.
Arduino runs a nanpy interface code to interface with Python, providing Text output of the Radio Station playing and Button inputs to control Playback.
* Learn how to use the mpd/mpc on the Raspberry Pi
* Learn how to use the nanpy library for Python to interface the Pi to the Arduino
* Make a Cool Internet Radio
By the way. If you like this Instructable, you might also like:
- Smart Home Thermostat : http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Raspberry-Pi-Internet-Radio/
- Arduino Yun Messager: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Yun-Messager/
- Yun based Electricity Monitor with Cloud Support: http://www.instructables.com/id/Yun-based-Electricity-Monitor-with-Cloud-Support-T/
- Make your own “Wii-Remote” like control of a PC Flight Simulator http://www.instructables.com/id/An-Arduino-Thermo…
Step 1: You Will Need
You will need:
* Arduino UNO
* LCD / Keyboard Shield e.g. (http://goo.gl/XAhvx)
* Raspberry Pi
* USB and Ethernet cables
Step 2: Install the Required Packages for mpd/mpc
The first thing we have to do is update Raspbian and install the required packages. Make sure you’re logged in (obviously), and you have an Internet connection.
1. Update Raspbian to the latest packages
$ sudo apt-get update
2. Install the mpd / mpc packages
$ sudo apt-get install mpc mpd
This installs the Music Player Daemon (mpd) and it’s client mpc.
You use the mpc client to configure mpd to add radio streams to the playlist, start and stop the player etc.
Step 3: Install the Required Packages for Python-nanpy
To do that, we need to install the nanpy library for Python and the nanpy firmware for Arduino.1. Install Arduino packages to build the nanpy firmware for Arduino
$ apt-get install arduino2. Get the nanpy library for Python and extract
$ wget http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/n/nanpy/nanpy-v0.7.tar.gz
$ tar xvf nanpy-v0.7.tar.gz3. Get setuptools for Python (a dependancy for nanpy) and extract
$ wget http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c11.tar.gz#md5=7df2a529a074f613b509fb44feefe74e
$ tar xvf setuptools-0.6c11.tar.gz
For more detail: Arduino / Raspberry Pi Internet Radio