I built an Raspberry Pi-powered Alexa device with a screen (to complement my Compost Professor project).
A few years ago, I made the Mystic Mirror – a magic mirror with Alexa built in. I also made a display last year for my Compost Professor project.
Full disclosure – this isn’t a detailed write-up about creating the project. What I’ve built so far is still very much “work in progress.” I just wanted to share what I’ve done so far, some cool images, and provide attribution to Adafruit for their great tutorials.
I remixed/combined three projects to build this project:
- Adafruit – 7 in Raspberry Pi tablet
- Adafruit – 10 in Raspberry Pi desktop
- Alexa – AVS on Raspberry Pi project
- Screen turns off based on motion detector
- LED light indicates status
- Displays current time and temperature (similar to an Echo Show/Spot)
- Alexa responds to voice prompts and displays images for display cards
- Physical button for integration to the Compost Professor project
- The GUI is currently written with Node.js and socket.io – I need to update to GUI to better integrate with the AVS code.
- I want to add physical buttons for volume and mute.
- I need to figure out the voltage and amps needed; I kept getting brownouts and making this battery powered was a no-go.