- Low Quiescent Current: 8μA Operating, 6μA Shutdown
- Withstands Surge Voltage Up to the MOSFET Limit
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: 4V to 72V
- Overcurrent Protection
- Selectable Internal 31.5V/50V or Adjustable Gate Clamp Voltage (Table 1)
- Reverse Input Protection to –60V
- Adjustable Turn-On Threshold
- Adjustable Fault Timer with MOSFET Stress Acceleration
- Controls N-Channel MOSFET
- Latchoff and Retry Options (Table 1)
- Low Retry Duty Cycle During Faults (Table 1)
- 10-Pin DFN (3mm × 3mm) and MSOP Packages
The LTC®4380 low quiescent current surge stopper protects loads from high voltage transients. Overvoltage protection is provided by clamping the gate voltage of an external N-channel MOSFET to limit the output voltage to a safe value during overvoltage events such as load dump in automobiles. Fixed gate clamp voltages are selectable for 12V and 24V/28V systems. For systems of any voltage up to 72V, use the adjustable gate clamp versions. Overcurrent protection is also provided.
An internal multiplier generates a TMR pin current proportional to VDS and ID, so that operating time in both overcurrent and overvoltage conditions is limited in accordance with MOSFET stress.
The GATE pin can drive back-to-back MOSFETs for reverse input protection, eliminating the voltage drop and dissipation of a Schottky diode solution. A low 8μA operating current permits use in always-on and battery powered applications. An accurate ON pin comparator monitors the input supply for undervoltage (UV) conditions and also serves as a shutdown input, reducing the quiescent current to 6μA.
- Automotive/Avionic/Industrial Surge Protection
- Hot Swap/ Live Insertion
- High Side Switch for Battery Powered Systems
- Intrinsic Safety Applications
For more detail: Low Quiescent Current Surge Stopper