Mouser Electronics is now stocking the SAM R30 sub-GHz module from Microchip Technology. The industry’s smallest IEEE 802.15.4-compliant module, the SAM R30 combines an ultra-low-power microcontroller with a sub-GHZ radio in a 12.7 × 11 mm package, enabling long-lasting battery life in space-constrained designs like wireless-networked sensors and controls in home automation, smart city, and industrial applications.
The Microchip SAM R30 module, available from Mouser Electronics, is based on a Microchip SAMR30E18A system-in-package (SiP) with 32-bit Arm® Cortex®-M0+ core and up to 256 Kbytes of flash and 40 Kbytes of RAM. Designed for use in unlicensed sub-1GHz frequency bands worldwide — such as 780 MHz (China), 868 MHz (Europe), and 915 MHz (North America) — the module delivers receive (RX) sensitivity up to -105 dBm and transmit (TX) output power up to +8.7 dBm.
The module offers twice the connectivity range and better communication through walls and floors than similarly powered devices using the 2.4 GHz frequency band. Featuring an ultra-low-power sleep mode of under 800 nA, the SAM R30 module is ideal for Internet of Things (IoT) sensor applications that require long battery life. Further, developers can implement propriety point-to-point, star, or self-healing mesh networks with Microchip’s MiWi™ protocol stack.
- Compact 802.15.4 Sub-1GHz module
- ATSAMR30E18A SiP with ARM Cortex-M0+ MCU and Sub-1GHz transceiver
- Integrated Ultra Low Power Transceiver for 700/800/900MHz ISM band
- 256KB Flash
- 16 Input/Output pins
- Maximum operating frequency 48MHz
- 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) crypto engine
- 32-bit Medium Access Control (MAC) symbol counter
- Automatic retransmission modes
- Single 1.8-3.6V supply
- FCC / ETSI compliant RF front end with a harmonic filter
- Two Serial Communication interface (SERCOM) units left for external applications
- High precision 16MHz crystal oscillator
- 12-bit, 350ksps Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC)
- I2C up to 3.4MHz
- Full-speed (12Mbps) Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 interface
- 16 External General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) lines
Mouser also stocks the SAM R30M Xplained Pro Evaluation Kit, which includes an onboard embedded debugger, QTouch® button, two Xplained Pro extension headers, and embedded current measurement circuitry. The board features both a chip antenna and an SMA connector for an external antenna, a digital temperature sensor, and USB-UART/I2C convertor. The board is supported by the Atmel Studio integrated development platform, which provides predefined application examples.