The Raspberry Pi Internet Weather Station project displays the weather information such as temperature, humidity and successive weather forecasts. This project uses 4D Systems’ 4DPi-35-II. 4DPi-35-II acts as the primary display of this RPi Project.
The 4DPi-35-II is a 3.5″ 480×320 Primary Display for the Raspberry Pi, which plugs directly on top of a Raspberry Pi and displays the primary output which is normally sent to the HDMI or Composite output. It features an integrated Resistive Touch panel, enabling the 4DPi-35-II to function with the Raspberry Pi without the need for a mouse.
Communication between the 4DPi-35-II and the Raspberry Pi is interfaced with a high speed 48Mhz SPI connection, which utilises an on-board processor for direct command interpretation and SPI communication compression, and features a customised DMA enabled kernel.
The 4DPi-35-II is designed to work with the Raspbian Operating System running on the Raspberry Pi, as that is the official Raspberry Pi operating system. It also supports the new PIXEL addition to Raspbian.
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Software • Python-tk module • Pywapi (Python weather API) • Raspberry Pi Internet Weather Station by Jim
Step1: Set Up
- Connect the 4DPi-35 to Raspberry Pi 3.
- Recommended application to use for SSH connection: Mobaxterm – https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html Steps in Raspberry Pi Weather Station
- Install the latest raspbian OS that is available on the Raspberry Pi website . Follow the installation guide.
- Set up network connections (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/README.md), Enable SSH (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/README.md), change password and restart.
- Connect to SSH, download and install the 4DPi-Kernel. Follow the instruction on the 4DPi-35 II Datasheet.
- When installation is successful, connect thru SSH and download python weather api.
- When download is complete. Untar the file
- sudo tar -xzvf pywapi-0.3.8.tar.gz
- Go to the folder
sudo python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install
- Go back to the folder /home/pi
- Reconfigure tzdata
- Download he Raspberry Pi Internet Weather Station by
Read more: Raspberry Pi Internet Weather Station