Microchip Technology Inc. has introduced a RISC-V-based System-on-Chip (SoC) Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) development kit for PolarFire® SoC FPGA. The Icicle Development Kit allows the designers who need a programmable RISC-V based SOC FPGA to develop and evaluate the broad network of RISC-V ecosystem products such as Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS), debuggers, compilers, System On Modules (SOMs), and security solutions.
The Mi-V RISC-V Partner Ecosystem provides an extensive set of tools and design resources from Microchip and numerous third parties for better RISC-V designs.
Microchip’s Icicle Kit for PolarFire SoC and Mi-V ecosystem enables PolarFire SoC FPGAs with:
- RISC-V processor complex from SiFive and embedded trace macro from UltraSoC
- Development tools from Adacore, Green Hills Software, Mentor Graphics, and Wind River
- Commercial RTOS solutions such as Nucleus and VxWorks that complement Microchip’s Linux® and bare-metal solutions
- Middleware solutions from DornerWorks, Hex Five, Veridify Security and wolfSSL
- SOM and design services from organizations such as Antmicro, ARIES Embedded, Digital Core Technologies, Emdalo Technologies, Sundance DSP, and Trenz Electronic
The Icicle Kit acts as a full-featured platform for development as the kit is centered around 250K Logic Element (LE) PolarFire SoC device and includes a PCIe® connector, mikroBUS™ socket, dual RJ45 connector, Micro-USB connector, CAN bus connector, Raspberry Pi® header, JTAG port, and SD Card interfaces. The board is also supported with reliable power management and clocking devices, an Ethernet PHY (VSC8662XIC), USB controller (USB3340-EZK-TR), and current sensors (PAC1934T-I/JQ).
The PolarFire SoC FPGAs can deliver up to 50% lower total power than competing devices. The Icicle Kit for PolarFire SoC FPGAs is best suitable for smart embedded imaging, IoT, industrial automation, defense, automotive, and communication applications. For more information about the Icicle Development Kit for PolarFire(SoC) FPGAs, visit the official website of Microchip Technology, Inc.