Nowadays, the requirements for industries such as medical, consumer electronics, industrial, and appliances force the manufacturers to come out with more efficient sensors, that also need to take into account environmental conditions and user expectations. The HTU31, by TE Connectivity, is an interesting, highly accurate digital sensor for relative humidity and temperature, ready to be deployed in harsh environmental conditions.
The HTU31, as described by TE Connectivity, “is one of the smallest and most accurate humidity sensors on the market”. With 20+ years of experience, they promise with this sensor fast response time, low hysteresis, high precision measurements and reliable performance even when the environmental conditions go to an extreme, regarding both temperature (-40 ºC to 125 ºC) and humidity (0% to 100% RH).
But what exactly are we looking at, when it comes to characteristics?
- Typical accuracy ±2% RH and ±0.2 °C
- Active current consumption of 450 µA, with sleep modes down to 0.05 µA
- Application-friendly voltage range, from 3 V to 5.5 V (6 V peak)
- Power dissipation as low as 3.78 µW (digital version) or 15 µW (analog version)
- Fast response time
- Compact 6-Pin DFN package (reflow solderable, compatible with automatic assembly procedures), measuring only 2.5mm x 2.5mm x 0.9mm. Lead free
- Both digital (fast I2C interface with 2 configurable addresses) and analog interface versions
- Quick recovery after long periods in the saturation phase
- Full interchangeability with no calibration required in standard conditions
- Fully calibrated, temperature compensated measurements
- Qualified according to AEC Q100 Grade 1 standards
From what we have talked about, you may be wondering: quality does not come cheap! Well, you will rethink that, as both versions of the sensor come at a small price, as the digital (HTU31D) comes as low as $2.76 and the analog (HTU31V) is priced at $1.60. I would say it is a really good price point, for the value you are getting!