There are several ways to design a system-on-module to carrier board interface, one method is to design an LGA (Land Grid Array) module, which have to be soldered straight unto the carrier board, and enables much more compact system-on-modules, and that’s exacty what TechNexion has done with their XORE family of LGA system-on-module currently powered by the 14-nm NXP i.MX 8M Mini processor.
TechNexion XORE Module Specifications:
- SoC (one of the other)
- NXP i.MX8M Mini Solo single Arm Cortex-A53 @ 1.8 GHz + M4 processor, Vivante GC7000Lite 3D GPU
- NXP i.MX8M Mini Dual 2x Arm Cortex-A53 @ 1.8 GHz + M4 processor, Vivante GC7000Lite 3D GPU
- NXP i.MX8M Mini Quad 4x Arm Cortex-A53 @ 1.8 GHz + M4 processor, Vivante GC7000Lite 3D GPU
- System Memory + storage – Up to 4GB LPDDR4 and 16 GB eMMC flash (default) in single package (MCP)
The company provides support for Linux, Yocto, Ubuntu and Android for the module.
XCORE-WIZARD-IMX8M-Mini Development Board
There’s also a development board based on the XORE-IMX8M Mini LGA SoM, but at the time of writing there’s no product page, and instead, we can learn more about it in the video embedded further below.
- SoM – XORE-IMX8M Mini Module soldered on board
- Display – MIPI DSI connector with optional adapters
- Camera – MIPI CSI connector for optional 5MP autofocus module
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack
- Pre-certified 802.11ac WiFi 5 & Bluetooth 5 module
- 2x SIM card slots
- USB – 1x micro USB, 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB type-C port
- Raspberry Pi expansion header for HAT add-on boards
- 2x Click slots
- mPCIe slot
- M.2 slot
- Debugging – Serial to USB cable
- Misc – Reset button
- Power Supply – Power barrel jack