For the “PI/E Day Contest” on instructables, I wanted to make a pie which I have not made before. I kept thinking what to do and as I saw a few Raspberry Pi Science projects on Instructable, I got an idea of making a Raspberry Pi e which will resemble the Raspberry Pi Circuit Diagram and hence I named my pie as “The ‘Raspberry Pi’ Pie”. I tried to replicate the actual circuit diagram into my pie as much as possible. I was very happy to see my imagination take shape in front of me.
I wanted the pie to have green color so it resembles the top of an electrical circuit and since my toddler will also eat this pie so I wanted to make it as healthy as possible as well so I have used Avocado and Cream Cheese for the pie filling and use Fresh Mint for the pie crust.
I am glad it came out well. Hope you like it too. Please do let me know your comments. Thank you and enjoy.
Step 1: Make the Minty Pie Crust
- Mint – Fresh and finely ground mint with ice cold water – 2 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Oil – 1/4 Cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Wash the mint leaves. Grind it in a blender to a fine paste using ice cold water.
- Mix all purpose flour, salt and oil with a fork or hand.
- Add the mint juice/paste and mix.
- Knead lightly till the mixture leaves the sides of the mixing bowl.
- The pie crust dough is ready.
- Roll it with a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface or by keeping the dough in between wax papers so it won’t stick while rolling.
- Carefully lift it and place it on an oven safe bowl / pie plate and ease it on all the surfaces on the pie plate.
- Poke holes on the surface with a fork so it won’t puff up while baking.
- Bake this in a preheated oven at 425 degree F for about 15-20mins. I kept checking it every 5 mins.
- Remove from oven when done.
- Keep aside so it cools down to room temperature.
Step 2: Make the Avocado Cream Cheese Filling for the Pie
- Avocado – 2 medium size
- Cream Cheese – 8 oz/227g
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – 300ml (1 can)
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp (Fresh)
- Green Food Color.
- Peel and de-pit the avocado and separate the flesh.
- Add the avocado flesh, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice in a blender and blend to a very fine paste.
- Add green food color and blend again so the color distributes uniformly.
- The “Avocado Cream Cheese” Pie Filling is ready.
Step 3: Make the writings/drawings with melted chocolate
- White Semi-Sweet Choco Chips.
- Ziplog Bag.
- Melt the white semi sweet choco chips:
- Heat water and keep it in a cup.
- Place the white semi-sweet choco chips in a zip log bag.
- Immerse this zip log bag in the cup with hot water for about 1-2 mins or till the choco chips melt.
- Make a small cut at the tip of the zip log bag with scissors.
- Write or draw on wax paper.
- To make it easier, you could have a print out of the circuit board, place the wax paper on top of it and then trace it with the choco chip melt.
- Keep the wax paper with the writings/drawings in the freezer until you are ready to assemble the pie.
For more detail: The “Raspberry Pi” Pie