it was one year ago that i have published the plant pot – world’s first stand alone smart plant pot that can email you when it’s thirsty, cold, hot, sleeping etc.
a lot has changed since the first release. today I would like to share with you our latest and most stable version yet.
the plant pot is still,
open source hardware + software
solder-free, suitable for any age group
an all around educational tool
once completed the end user will know how to build circuits, write code and end up with a finished device that can teach you how to garden. no prior electronics or gardening experience needed.!!
here is a list of what we will be using;
before inserting the water sensor, first carefully bend the connector legs to a 90 degree angle, this will help when wiring the circuit.
after this put the sensor in to the leg slots and hot glue the openings so they are water sealed as well.
choose “lillypad arduino usb” and the correct COM port and click ->run on arduino
you should see the data uploading on your thingspeak channel now (allow upto 2 minutes)
line 22 is the online webpage address so we can see the plant data on the internet;
1. go to https://thingspeak.com/users/sign_up & fill out the form to create an account
2. once the account is created, the page will change to your channels, click “new channel”
3. change the channel name and type in the fields that you want to record (temperature, light, humidity etc.) – save channel
4. click to “API Keys” tab and copy your write API key, this will be inserted into the code. – we are now ready to upload and capture data to our online channel where it will be graphed automatically and can be downloaded later on in excel format. – after you have created your channel you can also set e-mail alerts where the web page will automatically tweet “alarms” –
5. go to https://twitter.com/ and create an account
6. go to https://thingspeak.com/apps/reacts and create a “new react”
7. name your react and change the alarm values, choose thing tweet as your action and add a twitter account (link your accounts). condition type: numeric, test frequency: on data insertion etc.. for more help: https://thingspeak.com/docs/thingtweet
8. once your react is saved and your twitter account is linked everything should be working, and you should be getting the alarms on your twitter channel/phone.
For more detail: DIY Smart Plant pot
Current Project / Post can also be found using:
- raspberry pi smart plant pot